Mar 7, 2015

34 Sau Tao Scallop Noodles - I say Yum!

March 5 marked the 15th night of Chinese New Year, famously referred to as Chap Goh Meh  over at our corner of the world. For us, this occasion is usually celebrated with prayers and an elaborate meal with the family.

I settled for a simple dinner instead. Something out of a hamper, after being drawn to Google's feature story on instant noodle inventor, Momofuku Ando, who was also key in introducing cup noodles to the market.

I have always considered instant noodles one of the seven wonders of the food world considering its importance to disaster relief efforts and the lift it has given to broke college students. I remember the moments I have hallelujah-ed over finding a packet of noodles in my kitchen cabinet after a long day at work, followed by the long commute home.

This is what I made for dinner that evening ~ Instant scallop noodles topped with fish maw and pacific clams. All three items, from a hamper I received.

Scallop Noodles and Pacific Clams

A little about what Sau Tao Scallop instant noodles look like before I sent it to the stove.

Sau Tao Scallop Noodle

It comes with a sachet of sauce with olive oil. Righttt... 'sauce' can mean anything. The back of the box states - ginger, oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish powder, scallop powder, sugar, salt. That's the essence of it.

Scallop noodles and a sachet of sauce.

Boil the noodles for two minutes. Drain the water away. Toss the noodles in a strainer for good measure. Put the noodles into a deep bowl, pour the sauce in and using chopsticks, give it a mad stir!

Cooked scallop noodles with sauce.

I wasn't expecting this one to taste amazing so I had prepared my own pumpkin sauce (with pacific clams and fish maw) in advance. So much for being positive ...that, or I'm just being greedy. I think I was greedy. The noodles would have looked too plain.

My honest opinion? It was yum on its own! A springy noodle with robust flavours. They've got the seasoning down to a pat.

Sau Tao Scallop Instant Noodles

Where have you been all my life... I have to go thank the person who gave me this! Not that I haven't, but this requires a second thank-you.

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful invention of instant noodle. I think we Chinese invented noodle first. ;)

    Lovely meal, Sharon. You are very creative in inventing a new recipe. Thumb up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...thanks for the compliment, Rose! I hope you're feeling much better. ^.^

      Delete
  2. i never see this brand
    looks yummy
    i like dry noodles with sauce sometimes
    MY-Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only had shrimp noodles before..the scallop noodles must be even tastier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only tried one but now you've gotten me curious about the shrimp noodles, Angie.

      Delete
  4. I've seen the brand when I was in Hong Kong some years back & bought their shrimp noodles back. Not too bad tho :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, can't help salivating.... hungry, dinner time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore scallops! Yum!!! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ..wish I could get my hands on more :D

      Delete
  7. it look yummy Sharon! I love this kind of cook for noodles.simple yet super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Some days you just don't want to do too much ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I feel hungry now. Time to eat something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah ... glad this post generated hunger pangs ..lol ^.^

      Delete
  9. That has to be the fanciest instant noodles I've ever seen. Will look out for it at the Asian grocer next time I'm there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I thought so too! The ones I always buy look nothing like these.

      Delete
  10. Hi Sharon,

    We can buy Sau Tao Noodles here too and we are loving it.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...It's funny. I just never noticed it in stores here..lol ^.^

      Delete
  11. I might call this ramen. But really, I'll just call it good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks delicious indeed! I think the kind of instant noodles in Malaysia are varied and tasty! I can't say it's the same here. I have always looked at instant noodles as food for the kids but that is gradually changing now...particularly after seeing blog posts like this one. I'm learning.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has come a long way. I'm still awed by the varieties that are flooding the market. It used to be easy to decide what I want!

      Delete
  13. Enjoy your time with your family, Sharon! :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious!

    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/2015/03/party-look.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Well, at least I think so..haha :D

      Delete
  15. That's a very satisfying meal indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates