Apr 8, 2015

25 Kajang : Things To See and Do

Kajang town is lined with the quintessential row of shophouses of a past era. The skies remain clear of skyscrapers, but it is in no way quiet.

The town bustles with activity from small businesses and during weekends, there is the familiar traffic jam surrounding larger malls. Cars inch the area for parking lots.


With the construction of a MRT station in the heart of the area, it is a matter of time before Kajang catches up with its more modern neighbours. The idea that I can soon skip the 40-minute drive from Kuala Lumpur to Kajang for a taste of its famous satay excites me. How convenient to just hop on a train!

This brings me to the main purpose of this post - things to do in Kajang.

1) Tuck into a plate of delicious Satay Kajang, a dish of skewered charcoal-grilled meat that is eaten with a dip of rich peanut sauce. It is the pride of the town. The first thing that comes to mind about Kajang is its satay, and some say, nothing else.

These are the two most popular outlets.

- Sate Kajang Hj. Samuri is said to be key behind the rise of popularity for Satay Kajang. The main outlet is located in Bangunan Dato' Nazir which is adjacent to Stadium Kajang.



- Nyok Lan Satay (Restoran Malaysia) boasts of lean meat satay and a creamier sauce.

Satay Kajang Hj Samuri
Satay Kajang Nyok Lan

2) The history of Satay Kajang is preserved in Galeri Sate (Satay Gallery), which was officially opened in 2009. It is located near the MRT construction site. However, its doors are closed on weekends. I therefore did not make any attempt to visit the gallery since those were the days I was there. 

3) The Manju-Suddhi Buddhist Association at Kampung Baru Sungai Chua is a great place to go for some sightseeing. There are a couple of large beautiful statues of deities within the compound and one just outside.

Manju-Suddhi Buddhist Association

The Goddess Kuan Yin

Manju-Suddhi Buddhist Association
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/pbms.bo

4) Mewah Club, which has a restaurant and a swimming pool, offers a great view of Kajang town as it sits by the side of hill at Taman Bukit Mewah. It is a short drive up. Imagine romantic meals and a place to chill.

Staying at Prescott Hotel Kajang would be a plus because shuttle services can be arranged for guests who wish to go there.

5) Deeper into Bukit Mewah (after Mewah Club), is Loong Tien Koong Temple (龙天宫). Other than its name, Google led me to very little information about it. It was a place I spotted from the main road and it took me awhile to locate it!

The temple is currently undergoing beautification works and is expanding to include a large hall. I had asked for permission from the caretaker to take a look-see. 

Loong Tien Koong Temple

A good view of Kajang from this spot.

The view at Loong Tien Koong Temple

Located metres away from the temple, is a shrine with a lovely garden.

A Shrine Near Loong Tien Koong Temple

And that ends my little adventure in Kajang.

Are there any other places that you think I should add to the list?


25 comments:

  1. Never really walk around Kajang. Been there once at night which was quite dark. Walked from KTM Station to the satay hawkers centre. Haha.

    Nice photo shots. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose. I wasn't expecting much, but driving into several kampungs to explore sure gave me a glimpse of life in Kajang. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and feel that I need to go back for more! ^.^

      Delete
  2. this is the place I sleep in everyday...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! The best satay just around the corner! ^.^

      Delete
  3. Beautiful temple...very peaceful and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love exploring new places. Thanks for taking me along on the ride. What a charming place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing where to go for best satay in Kajang. I am a big fan of satay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pix are very well captured, Sharon! I enjoy eating satay too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley and high five for loving satay too! ^.^

      Delete
  7. Really enjoyed these pictures (: I would love to see all of it one day!

    www.drownedinfashiondreams.blogspot.it
    If you want to follow each other, let me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coreena. It's a great little town :)

      Delete
  8. What great photos! I love the beautiful temples, gardens and statues. Looks like a city rich in history and culture! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know much about kajang except satay
    great to know that there is more to offer
    Mewah club looks like an exciting place for dining out especially for couples
    MY-Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely spot. Suddenly craving satay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens a lot to me when I reminisced about Kajang ;)

      Delete
  11. Wow, beautiful place. I hope I can visit Malaysia one day and Kajang will be on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates