Oct 10, 2012

0 My Melaka Moments - Day 2 (The Melaka River Cruise)

The Melaka River Cruise - a charming idea that flourished under a brilliant tourism plan. Just RM10 for a 45-minute ride along the majestic dark greenish water that is Melaka River.

"I'm waking up at 7am..."
  The look of  horror on my husband's face was just humorous.

This is me. I like seizing the cool morning air. The afternoon sun to me is "bleh"  time for anything. Humidity saps enthusiasm and makes walking a strenuous affair. Truth be told, I find it hard to even sit under such conditions. I question my Malaysian-ness at times. I should be used to the weather since I've only lived here all my life. I am outraged by my own outrageousness! 

I've been on the Melaka River Cruise twice, both times in the morning. I have heard that it's beautiful at night with many lights adorning the sidewalk of the river. This makes me really excited about the prospect of another trip down.

Life jackets above
The cruise begins with little or no introduction from the boatman. I was lulled into belief that this was just a ride up and down for us to see the surroundings. Not so. A pre-recorded commentary is played during the ride back. It gives a brief explanation of the the history of each place we pass along the river.

All was quiet and attentive until we saw some monitor lizards resting on a ledge, clearly, having made the river their home.

Curious onlookers - that's what we were. The boatman was kind enough to slow and reverse the boat a little so we could get a better look. Some of us were off our seats with ooohs and aahs of wonderment. I was busy snapping photos. Funny how these creature captured our interest easily. I wonder what the boatman thinks..maybe - "sigh..these lizards should have been included in the pre-recorded commentary"

Monitor lizards
As we got off the boat at the end of the cruise, we were quickly surrounded by opportunistic photographers who wanted us to purchase nicely framed snapshots which they took of us, without our permission mind you, at the start of the cruise.

It's all a very nice idea, tourism-wise, but too expensive to be worth a buy. I would bring my own camera. There are no extra charges for bringing one on board anyway.







A cruise for the romantic couple

Lovely riverside graffiti - A Melaka Arts project

 Lots of beautiful bridges

Pirate Park...arRRrr
Patriotic village house at Kampung Morten
(A roof painted with the Malaysian flag)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates