Apr 22, 2016

12 On The Outskirts Of Batu Caves

So much for raring to blog. Life threw me thorned roses - it was good-ouch. I came down with the sniffles and a sore throat. It didn't help that temperatures outside were soaring. I occupied myself with housework but this was done in a state of zombieness. Better than inactivity. They say 'An idle mind is the Devil's playground' ; as long as I was focused on doing something, my thoughts bordered on the chirpier side of life.

The runny nose situation soon disappeared and the next thing I knew, I was having a fab time with George, my 8-month old nephew who had the most adorable more-gums-than-teeth smile. I was also getting my apartment fitted with a spanking new air-con! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I go sightseeing with someone elderly, I keep in mind to take it slow.

I enjoy walking at their pace and carrying light conversation. The scenery feels more breathtaking this way. I love the short stops we make to rest along the way. It's also an opportunity to savour local treats. It cannot be said that any of our time was wasted. We merely did what so many wise men have advised, that is, to stop and smell the roses.

What's your take on travelling with the elderly?

These are pictures I snapped whilst taking my very elderly relative around Batu Caves. The place is famous for its cave temples, the main one located atop a flight of stairs of 272 steps and draws a crowd that numbers more than a million during Thaipusam. We didn't make the climb as it was too steep for my relative and at the same time unwise for us at the peak of humid weather.

Did you know that the Lord Murugan statue which stands at 140ft in Batu Caves is the second tallest statue of a Hindu deity in the world?

Lord Murugan Statue, Batu Caves

After oohing and aahing over the Lord Murugan statue, we made our way far-left, towards Ramayana Cave. Here stands a statue of Lord Hanuman (pictured below). It is only 50ft tall, but no less impressive. I have not heard of Ramayana Cave before this visit and believed it was a newer addition, but from this interesting blog piece on Caving in SE Asia by Liz Price, I now know that it has been around for sometime!

Hanuman Statue, Batu Caves

I'm saving the cave visits for another day. This jalan-jalan  is just a look-see of the surrounding areas.

Limestone hill in the background

Coconuts to be burned for prayers

Lots of fish in this lake.

Man-made lake at Batu Caves

Watch out for the monkeys!

Monkeys at Batu Caves

I can't believe I've yet to explore such an important tourism landmark although I live nearby. It's not embarrassing, but as a proud Malaysian, it's just outrageous! ;)

12 comments:

  1. I never been to Batu Caves. Would love to make a trip there, admiring the beautiful view.

    Glad you are well now. Indeed, air-con is a must now. I switch on my living room air con few times a day. Just too hot; could not stand the hear and sweat after back from outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call me if you do come down here, Rose! I live nearby ;D

      Delete
  2. Have not been here for ages. Now,I should make an attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, this is such a lovely and fascinating tour! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos and details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww..you're welcome, Linda. I'm glad you like it! ^.^

      Delete
  4. I have only been once to Batu Caves and that was many, many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you have pics of it, Nancy? It would be interesting to see the changes. :D

      Delete
  5. I remember visiting Batu Caves when I was a kid. Looks like I've to make another trip, Sharon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...that is a long time back, Shirley. Lucky you to have seen it then! Would be exciting to see how much it has changed over the years. :D

      Delete
  6. Same with Nancy, i been to Batu Caves once, long long time ago, that time still no digital camera, blog, etc yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...you knew what I was going to ask for! ^.^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates