Sep 6, 2017

14 Eats : YL Old Taste Cake House, MyTown

I mentioned earlier in this post that I would get one of these cakes to try and I did with a girlfriend, over Merdeka weekend!

It's Taiwan's traditional taste sponge cake, freshly baked. I was excited to see a tray filled with wobbly chocolate cake batter going into the large oven they had placed in front of the store where it was visible for us to see. Ooh, I wish I could stay and watch the cake rise to it's full glory but 40minutes is a long wait.

YL Old Taste Cake House - Original Flavour

Jen and I ordered the milky fragranced original flavour cake, sold in a huge chunky piece at RM15 per box. A plastic knife was included in the bag. Had I seen the knife earlier, I would have returned it. Jen and I were going:

"You've got to be kidding. We don't need a knife for this. We'll tear it apart with our bare hands!"  And om nom nom nom to our heart's content.

The cake was fluffy and lightly flavoured. We didn't keep it in the refrigerator. It stayed fine the two and a half days we took to finish it.

YL Old Taste Cake House, Original Flavour

YL Old Taste Cake House is located beside the escalator at IKEA's corner on Level 2 of MyTown Shopping Centre (Jalan Cochrane, Cheras). There are four flavours to choose from: Original, Cheese, Chocolate and Walnut Coffee.

YL Old Taste Cake House, MyTown Shopping Centre

YL Old Taste Cake House, Cheese Flavour

That's that on the Taiwanese traditional cake.

Then, there's this local aunty-uncle cake that I love. I call it that because I have no idea what it's really called. I haven't seen it in bakeries. It's usually sold by the roadside with a van parked next to it (or not), near other hawker stalls - some aunty-uncle will be manning it. It looks like flat chiffon cakes, folded and filled with cream and yummy jam.

Flat Cake, folded and filled with Cream and Jam

I wish someone would market this extensively as our local traditional cake ..yum stuff! 

14 comments:

  1. I have visited MyTown twice on your good publicity. I missed this cake shop as the mall were so packed twice until I almost could not breathe inside IKEA. Wakakaka
    I noticed these soft cakes are the latest crazy trend now everywhere and we just bought the Ah Mah's version with cheese from Centrepoint. It was good and my wife ate like you, using bare hands. I had to use knife and I guess it has something to do with my mother's strict upbringing. I will use hands next time and Om Nom Nom...

    I saw that folded cake with cream & jam at Taman Megah Pasar malam! Go visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... TM, because of you, I have marked the Taman Megah Pasar Malam as must-visit and soon! I'm just waiting for a free weekend.

      There was no queue for YL cake shop the three times I was there. The next time I lepak at Centrepoint, I will check out Ah Mah's version.

      My mother is very proper about things too, but my father is flexible. So I am somewhere in between... :P

      Delete
  2. So elastic and soft with perfectly smooth crumb...o man, I want a large slice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly why it caught on so fast here, Angie. The in-thing and there are long queues in some places for this ;)

      Delete
  3. This looks so good, Sharon, and I love the decor of the place, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really yum, Linda and I really wish I could share a bite with you! ^.^

      Delete
  4. Tasted the Taiwan traditional cake. Not to my liking. Too dry and bland. Maybe yours is better.

    On other hand, I like the flat cake with cream and jam. Yum yum. I love cake with cream and jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right about that, Rose. Some shops are better at it. I remember my baked cheese tarts adventure - the texture was inconsistent that I wondered if it was the same franchise!

      This flat cake is really yummy - fluffy and the portion is good, but not sold at malls. Sayang!

      Delete
  5. Wow, it looks so gently and sensitively

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many people are going crazy over it ;)

      Delete
  6. I tried this. Totally old time egg cakes taste. But too much for single person for me. I ate 2 pieces and gave away the rest. hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates