Jan 25, 2013

4 Sabah - Pekan Nabalu (Nabalu Town)

Climb Mount Kinabalu? Oh no...not me! I just want to get a good view of the majestic mountain, so we made a stop at Pekan Nabalu.

It was as beautiful as when I first saw it years ago. Can one envy a mountain? I do. No one ever labels a mountain ugly and if it is ever called big, it is at most taken as a compliment.

There's Mount Kinabalu

Pekan Nabalu has flourished as a tourist stop - for souvenirs, to grab a bite, for a toilet break and the scenic view is a great spot for some touristy photo-taking activity.

The souvenirs are a treat, really cheap and abundant in choices. I love how beautiful the handmade crafts are especially the string hammocks. It has been my dream to own one ever since I was a child and these were so prettily coloured. I walked off with one in arm...oh dear, how will this fit into my small apartment I wonder...

Adding to my list of purchases was a sarong sized native design cloth for just RM10 and a bag of wood carved key chains.

I would have loved to complete my souvenir shopping here but experience has taught me not to put all my eggs into one basket. ..and this turned out to be a wise decision.  

A good spot for souvenir shopping

The toilets are ok-lah. You'll just have to close one eye. We arrived in the afternoon way after the tourist buses have left. They begin their adventure in the wee hours of the morning. We prefer the laid back experience. It made our traveling peaceful. I am glad we escaped the toilet queue and did not have to rush to pose for photos on 'high demand' spots.

Toilet cleanliness - acceptable

A viewing platform at the back has fallen into disrepair and the area has been cordoned off by a warning ribbon. No matter, we still got a good view of the mountain from the grassy edge of the hill we were standing on.

This platform is off limits!

There's a lovely "Angel's Trumpet" tree growing here too, some metres away from the decrepit platform. No doubt a crowd puller for photo-taking enthusiasts, one being me. Mmm..mm..gorgeous!

Angel's Trumpet Tree

Something to trumpet about

After Pekan Nabalu, we continued our journey to Kampung Luanti. I enjoyed the drive thoroughly. It felt like I had been transported into a different world. How can it be so green and serene. Do my eyes deceive me or are the skies bluer.

The road out of the city, leading to Kundasang all the way to Kampung Luanti is long and winding.  Best to be prepared if you're prone to car sickness but you should keep awake for the view. It's stunning. It would have been great to make little stops along the journey to take in the cool air and savour some of the local fruits sold at the roadside but we were pressed for time.

To sum up my whole experience - "Bah, next trip bila?"  I am eager to return.

(Bah - a Sabah slang. There is no standard meaning for it. It is used to make conversation sound more casual and friendly. Bila means "when" in Malay.)

Sigh..heavenly

Could this be where Hobbits live?

OkKkk... that looks like a cabin out of a horror movie

4 comments:

  1. May I know how far is the drive from Kota Kinabalu to Pekan Nabalu? Is Pekan Nabalu the only place to stop for toilet break? Is there other stops? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's not very far, just under an hour out of Kota Kinabalu :) and there are "several" stops along the way for toilet breaks - from shophouses to touristy spots like the (Rumah Terbalik) Upside Down house.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon,
    Thank you for your reply. Glad to know that there are stops for toilet along the way. Was a bit worried about that. May I also ask, it will take another one hour from Pekan Nabalu to Kundasang?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Starbuckers,
      Yes, just about another hour, and you're most welcome :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates