Mar 31, 2016

22 Visiting The Royal Museum, Kuala Lumpur

The Royal Museum (Muzium DiRaja) was formerly the official residence of the King and Queen of Malaysia. Before its doors were open to the public as a piece of historical treasure, it was our Istana Negara (National Palace) until 2011.  

I felt the pages of our Buku Sejarah (history book) come alive as I walked through the old palace. It is a good place to visit, and not short on informational noticeboards.

Before it became our National Palace, this was actually the mansion of a Chinese tin mining millionaire with 8 wives! He fled the country with his family during the Japanese occupation. A Japanese Governor made this his home until it was taken over by the British after the war ended. Finally, it was converted into our National Palace when Malaya achieved independence. It has undergone extensive renovations to fit royal functions.

Royal Museum, Jalan Istana

As I explored the rooms and halls of the mansion, I was surprised to find it rather down-to-earth. It didn't seem 'fit for a King'. I would describe it as a grand home for a very rich person. Aah .. that's not to say I wasn't impressed. I was, very!

Old Istana Negara

The main throne room (Balairong Seri), which is located in another building, was architecturally more exciting interior wise. The detailing on the wall is like a huge art piece. It is majestic.

Royal Museum - The Main Throne at Balairong Seri

Seating for the Royal Guests

Various Royal functions were held in this hall

Yellow, being our Royal Colour

Royal Museum - Balairong Seri

The outdoor surroundings were well maintained with neatly trimmed trees and a lawn so perfect for picnics. Initially I was going, "Phew! That's quite a distance to walk!" . I knew I was only saying that because of the afternoon heat. This was in no way far. I soon forgot how hot it was as I took in the scenery!

The field in front of the Royal Museum

Spot the KL Tower and Twin Towers?

The entrance / exit is way down there!

Entrance To The Royal Museum

All in, I had a very pleasant experience. The staff was smiling and helpful throughout. This made me want to come back here ...and I did - a week later!

Note: No photo-taking is allowed in the mansion. We were free to snap photos in the main throne hall and everywhere else.

Admission fee:
Locals - RM5 adults, RM2 kids (6-12yrs), RM3 senior citizens.
Foreigners - RM10 adults, RM5 kids (6-12yrs).

Address: Old Istana Negara, Jalan Istana, Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Telephone:+60 3 - 2267 1000
Opens daily from 9am to 5pm.



22 comments:

  1. I only stepped foot outside the gate and took photo with a guard. Lol. That was many years ago. Would love to visit and go into the palace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Rose and the kids too! Go in the morning - it's cooler to walk! ;)

      Delete
  2. When I was working in KL many, many years ago, the mini buses used to pass by and I only get little bit of glimpses here and there from the highway. RM5 for adult is very reasonable and I would love to visit one day if I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Nancy - always just a look-see from the roadside! I'm happy it's opened up as a museum.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place, Sharon!!! Thank you so much for sharing these lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Linda! I'm glad you like it. xoxo ^.^

      Delete
  4. Good to hear that the staff was smiling and friendly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they were so courteous, from the moment we stepped through the gate right until the end, and even volunteered to help take our photo when they saw us trying to do a wefie! ^.^

      Delete
  5. So beautiful and enchanting.. I would love to visit the place..

    http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is ..takes me back to days of old :)

      Delete
  6. I have not gone inside before. Only from outside. Ya lor...if open for picnic syok lo....but then will be dirty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rajin nya you pergi this kind of place. Me, maybe I can't really appreaciate di-raja thingy. So ya, I never step my foot there and no intention yet. Maybe in the future, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ez, I very rajin because I take a lot of visiting friends and relatives jalan-jalan Kuala Lumpur...haha! ^.^

      Delete
  8. it s certainly a place worth the visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, especially if you love historical places :)

      Delete
  9. The interiors are doing a great impression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was enamoured from the moment I stepped in! ^.^

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, it looks real royal! Hahaha! Somehow reminds me of Najib & his wife...... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. i been there once few years back

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates