Feb 25, 2012

5 The Sweetness of Bubur Cha Cha on Chap Goh Meh

It is said that we celebrate Chap Goh Meh with Bubur Cha Cha because Cha Cha (pronounced che che in Hokkien) means "abundance"  or "prosperity". These are auspicious words synonymous with the Lunar New Year, which we always wish upon others for a blessed year.

Some traditionalists argue that it is supposed to be pengat, not bubur cha cha. I'll leave the technical matters to the experts. What matters more is the love that it spreads.

Serving bubur cha cha to family and friends is a practice that has been carried out for years by hubby's side of the family. No wonder people in the olden days were more attuned to their neighbours. With traditional practices that require sharing and togetherness, it's hard not to see why people were closer in the past. 

This is my first attempt at making it. I got the recipe from my sister-in-law. There's a small twist to the usual bubur cha cha recipes I'm accustomed to. I was told to add bananas. I've got to say that it's an excellent combination, really tingles the taste buds.


Banana is key

Sweet potatoes, Yam, Bananas, Beans, Coconut Milk

Some cendol-like jelly

Pandan for a nice scent

The end product, a sweet endeavour

5 comments:

  1. Looks YUMMY!!!! I wan I wan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurp-slurp ~ great minds think alike ! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day, LG..next Chap Goh Meh ^.^

    Or great tummies rumble alike, Ee ..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. look so colorful and I bet it taste super delicious. I love Yam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. The different coloured ingredients sure made it a livelier affair..lol ^.^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates