Oct 7, 2012

0 My Melaka Moments - Day 1

Melaka, Malacca, the historical city enamours my heart with a yearning to explore. It didn't matter that I had been there more than once, twice, thrice. Each with different experiences colouring my life's journey.

I was in Melaka again just a couple of weeks ago. This time, with my in-laws but still feel that there is so much to see and experience.

There are a few things I really love doing in Melaka. One is to take a ride up Menara Taming Sari, the revolving gyro tower that lifts us 80 metres above ground for a panoramic view of Melaka's heritage zone. The scenery is breathtaking.

I am both serene and excited sitting way up in the sky..sometimes it just gets to me that I find it hard to sit still. I would get up, unashamedly start snapping photos on my little neon pink digital camera. Mom-in-law's (mom) used to this quirky side of mine having been the subject of my focus for hundreds of photos. She's such a natural in front of the camera.

Menara Taming Sari (Tickets are RM5 for a Malaysian adult)

Majestic Melaka 80metres above

After the amazing experience on the Taming Sari, we were brought down to earth ..literally.

We took a ride on the beca (trishaw) - it's something I look forward to and enjoy. There's nothing like observing people and buildings from the chair of a slow moving bicycle, al fresco fashion with some wind on our hair. There is also no harm supporting people who make an honest living.

The other noble reason - I just didn't want mom to have to walk so far. It is a holiday, after all.

Colourful becas

My ride costs RM15

The Samudera Maritime Museum (Flor de la Mar) is another great place to visit. I find the structure unique, designed in the replica of a Portuguese ship. Erkkk! I am easily impressed.

I would go early in the morning when it's less humid. The afternoon sun can be punishing. Bus loads of tourists did not help - it was very "stuffy" inside the ship that day. Not peachy!

Samudera Maritime Museum (RM3 per entry, Malaysian adult)
Inside the ship

Next, we took a short walk along the scenic path of the Melaka River - Ten thousand steps, on average, to complete the whole stretch..but my journey begins from the Samudera Museum and ends at Jonker Walk, to which I'm sheepish to admit, is way off the 10k target! That's as far as I trudge because then my thoughts meander towards shopping and glorious local food. It's always easy for me to stray from the planned path - Jonker Walk is a so alive with activity and tourists...

The sights and scenes one encounters along the Melaka River is a gem of a visual experience. The water wheel, the beautiful riverside Casa del Rio Hotel, colourful boats cruising along, the monitor lizards that have made the river their home, rows of old buildings painted with culture-themed graffiti..

Water wheel (Kincir Air Kesultanan Melayu Melaka)
 
Christ Church at Melaka Dutch Square

Melaka River - view from bridge crossing to Jonker Walk
Jonker Walk is, of course, well known for it's street shops. We made our way there in the evening because that's when the roadside stalls set up shop. This only happens on weekends.

I can buy a bag in Jonker Walk for a much cheaper price than the stalls I find in Kuala Lumpur's large shopping malls ~ I speak from experience of a bag with the same design!

Antiques, souvenirs and street food are aplenty. It's no surprise I can spend an entire day here!

Jonker Walk is guarded by a Water Dragon

The strong man of Jonker Walk

The two-day trip to Melaka inspires the spirit of travel in me.

They say traveling opens minds - but this is only true if one travels with an open heart, not an open wallet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates