Nov 30, 2016

19 Melaka : Chop Chung Wah Hainanese Chicken Rice Ball

It was the longest queue I'd ever seen outside a kopitiam ; that made me curious. I crossed the triangular traffic island at Jonker Street to get a peek inside. Hainan Chicken Rice was written on the signboard.

"They're lining up for chicken rice balls!" I told my partner, rolling my eyes in disbelief. And that was that or so I thought.

We were up and about Jonker Walk early next morning looking for food. The skies were gloomy and it started to drizzle. Under the cover of a newly purchased tourist-priced umbrella, we scoured the quiet streets of quaint historical buildings for something to eat. We could tell we were in the wrong corner of town when it came to breakfast. Deciding to walk back, we passed Kedai Kopi Chung Wah again and this time, there wasn't a queue.

Chop Chung Wah, Melaka

It was 8am-ish. The shop had just opened. The rain was getting heavier so hubs and I made a dash for it, both agreeing that it was best to wait it out here. Only four tables were occupied with customers. We were welcomed in with a lovely smile and our order was taken - which was simply us showing a V sign with our fingers indicating we wanted food for two persons.

Whilst waiting, we watched an adorable child of not more than four years, possibly a relative of the shop owner, ambling up and down within the confines of the small building, greeting people she knew.

Two plates of rice balls and chopped kampung chicken was placed in front of us minutes later. I couldn't wait to tuck in! The chicken was tender enough and it was tasty. I almost asked for seconds but stopped myself from getting carried away.

Chop Chung Wah Kampung Chicken Rice Ball

Hubs and I enjoyed our meal in our own thoughts blissfully unaffected by the brisk activity around us that comes with the typical kopitiam style ambiance. It was cosy with us watching raindrops fall gently from the edge of the roof through an old side door that had been barred with a metal railing. The shop wasn't full so we sat awhile and enjoyed our drink.

Chop Chung Wah, Melaka

We left when the rain slowed to a drizzle. It was a yummy meal and a wonderful start to the day. We had a satisfied grin on our faces, plus a warm fuzzy feeling about the whole experience. It is another memory to be cherished.

This is what the whole place looks like coming in from the entrance.

Chop Chung Wah, Melaka

Below are photos I snapped whilst looking for a place to eat. The streets of Melaka on a chilly Monday morning.

A Morning Walk Around Jonker Street

Chop Chung Wah
is located across from this traffic island.

Jonker Walk, Melaka

The 'Don't Mess With Melaka' slogan is meant to be a stern reminder for people to keep Melaka clean. We saw these banners all around Melaka's tourist spots.

Don't Mess With Melaka

Chop Chung Wah
Address : 18, Jalan Hang Jebat, 75200 Melaka.
Phone: 06-286 0121

19 comments:

  1. Chicken rice for breakfast. What a bliss! ^^


    I love the slogan. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh..the chicken looks so tender and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unusual breakfast, perhaps, but it looks delicious! Moist, tender and yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Linda! It was really good. ^.^

      Delete
  4. Go Malacca must eat the chicken ball rice ya, hehe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yalor..otherwise, like not complete kan ;)

      Delete
    2. yup...i like the ones from this shop. Fren said have another shop but i tak jumpa

      Delete
    3. I've only tried 2 places so far ;P even though I've been to Melaka a few times.

      Delete
  5. I haven't been to Malacca for a long, long time. If I do visit Malacca, I must remember this place because the chicken looks so delicious! And I must go early so I needn't have to queue. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Syioknyeee!!! Look so delicious.You make me miss Malacca food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I'm going again in a couple of weeks..? I love the place so much!

      Delete
  7. Unusual breakfast :) But looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried these chicken rice balls during my last trip there too, but my friend & I didn't quite like it cause the rice is too soggy. Wonder if it's meant to be like that.... Have a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One man's meat .. ;)
      I guess so, Shirley. I went to two and it was similar in texture.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates