Aug 5, 2017

18 Jalan-Jalan MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang Line

I hopped onto the MRT for the first time two Sundays back with Hubs from Kota Damansara. It was an enjoyable experience that made me think twice about driving - the jam, the flash flood when it rains, the parking, the price of petrol, the craziness that comes with short-tempered drivers!

MRT Malaysia

But mostly, I love it so much because it stops at most of my favourite haunts -- Ikea Cheras/MyTown Shopping Mall (Cochrane Station), Sunway Velocity (Maluri Station), 1Utama (Bandar Utama), Ikea Damansara/TheCurve (Mutiara Damansara Station), Sunway Nexis/Sunway Giza (Surian Station), Central Market (Pasar Seni Station). Another plus? My cravings for Satay Kajang will not be left unattended for long; I've yet to go all the way but I hear that the MRT station stops within walking distance from Hj Samuri's famous Satay restaurant. 

MRT Station Bandar Tun Hussein Onn with Carpark

Bright, spacious and air-con cool, I found the MRT comfy. It was widespread in the news that the facilities had been subject to vandalism and misuse. I was too much in my own world to notice anything other than the scenery we passed and the people around me. There were many senior citizens getting on and off - I found them enigmatic and cute. How excited they were in their chatter with similar-aged friends! 

MRT Malaysia

We had our Touch 'n Go cards with us so we used that to get in and out of the station. The signboards are clear and easy to understand. Finding our way was a piece of cake.

MRT - In and Out with Touch n Go Cards

I love that there's a glass divider between the track and platform. These platform screen doors make it much safer for commuters. Years ago, when I depended heavily on the LRT to get to work, I sometimes worried about people falling onto the track which had an open concept. The morning rush, an impatient crowd - the risk is there.

MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang Line - Every 9 Minutes
 
MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang Line Platform Screen Doors

The underground stations are well lit.

MRT Malaysia - The Underground Station

There were benches for people to sit and wait for trains. This colourful one was born out of a design competition.

MRT Bench

Peeking through a glass door into the restricted area, I was thrilled to see the train tunnel. Several movie scenes played out in my head - Ninja Turtles fighting the bad guys, tens of walking corpes making their awkward way forward, a huge wave of water rushing in ..

The Dusty MRT Tunnel

Bridge to MRT - The Surian Stop

We wanted to try out the feeder bus but the long wait got to us so we decided to postpone the experience to another time.

MRT Feeder Bus

Days later, I took my aunt on her first MRT ride. She enjoyed it too! We gallivanted from Sunway Velocity to The Curve, shopping and window-shopping to our heart's content.

With this new line, getting around has just gotten easier for me.

18 comments:

  1. Mcm best je. Next time I go KL boleh la jalan2 naik mrt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best, Ez ..as long as you avoid the rush hour ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Everyone has been talking about the new line and discount. Good that you enjoy the ride and how convenient to go from here to there.

    I love train ride too. Used to do that a lot when study in WM. MRT looks clean and nice. Hope to ride it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a more convenient way of traveling, that's for sure and much cheaper than taking the taxi. But it is pricey for commuters who are using it daily to get to work. I am hoping that they will introduce discounts for high usage MRT users :)

      Delete
  3. I love the interior of the subway, the light blue coloured seats are very nice, and it is well lit and looks very nice! I love all your photos, Sharon, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Linda. ;) Glad you enjoyed reading it.

      Delete
  4. Looks similar to our MRT station here, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just on line yesterday trying to figure out where the new line went. I've seen the stations at Bukit Bintang and Chochrane but have not yet ridden the MRT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ridden it several times now. Quite peaceful after 9am on working days. I hear that the Merdeka Station is pretty interesting with the Rukun Negara engraved on the wall. Have yet to stop there but it's on my next-to-visit list.

      Delete
  6. Interesting and so convenient to get around. Don't know when I will get a chance to try it out. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy ..you really need to try it - very shiok and I know you will love the experience! ;)

      Delete
  7. I was even more kiasu and excitedly hopped onto the free train ride during the first week from Sungai Buloh MRT till Bangsar during the first leg. Now I can't wait to ride till Kajang to eat Satay. I saw the FB photos of very long queues at Haji Samuri's stall. I think Kajang has come to life overnight! It would be wise to buy a first time house there as it is still very cheap there.

    Thanks for sharing all the shopping malls that dot along the way. This is useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed that one, when the MRT rides were free. I'm only excited now because one station is conveniently located on the same level as our office and it only opened with this second line ;)

      Agree .. my cousin did just that - buy a house there. It's more affordable.

      I guess I should start my journey to Haji Samuri early then ..haha!

      Delete
  8. Sharon! Thank u for giving me inside sneak peek into mrt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it looks spanking new! Hope you guys can maintain the good condition so that everyone can ride comfortably. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Shirley. I have often admired Singapore's cleanliness xx :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates