Nov 13, 2011

0 Stir Fried Beef - Venturing into Vegemite

"Eh, this one also can-lar", I convinced my Unc with gusto. It was hard to ignore, the I'm-ready-for-something-new look on my lightly made-up face, accompanied with a grin.

We were supposed to get Marmite for Aunt Em, but I thought we should expand her food variety a little. That's how I landed myself with a whole jar of Vegemite ...uhuh, Aunt Em didn't like it one bit. No doubt producers of Marmite would thrill over this news - Vegemite, not so mite-y after all.

Vegemite
It dawned on me that I was holding a jar of something I myself had never tried in my life. At first glance, it looked like rat glue. I wasn't ecstatic about the scent either. 

Can't possibly donate this to someone else now, could I? It seemed like an impolite thing to do. It seemed like what a spoilt brat would do.

So, I did the only thing I could think of (because it was brown..is that even logical??). I got down to including it into any dish which uses soy sauce as a key flavour.  Vegemite makes a great replacement. I can now testify to that after experimenting with a couple of dishes.

Here's one of my lip-smacking discovery:


Tender, tender

You ARE messy. Clean the sides!

Recipe? Roughly..


Ingredients:
- 3/4 thumb sized ginger (thinly sliced)
- 200g beef fillet (thinly sliced, otherwise cook longer until tender)
-  5 baby carrots (cut bite sized)
- 2 sprigs Spring onions (sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tsp cornflour (mix with a bit water in a bowl)

- 3/4 tsp Vegemite
- A weeee bit of dark soy sauce for colour
- A pinch of salt and pepper, to taste- A dash of Worcestershire sauce for zing

Todo:
- Heat wok with a bit of oil. Stir fry ginger. 
- Add sliced beef and carrots. 
- Stir, stir, stir, add pinch of salt and pepper. A dash of Worcestershire sauce here and there and finally a teaspoon of Vegemite and that weeee bit of dark soy sauce
- Add water and let it simmer, covered, until meat is tender. 
- Finally, pour in a bit of cornflour. Stir quickly.
- Switch off the heat. Throw in two sprigs of crunchy fresh spring onions (chopped into 1inch sizes). Stir and serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Elephants & Mangoes Copyright © 2005 - 2017 |- Template created by O Pregador Aldenir Araújo - |- Powered by Blogger Templates